Putah Creek, California
Putah Creek - is a major stream in Northern California, a tributary of the Yolo Bypass. The 85-mile-long (137 km) creek starts its headwaters in the Mayacamas Mountains, a part of the Northern California coastal range and the most important creek/river located just outside of the SF Bay Area. The name is Putah is a Miwok Indian word meaning “grassy banks.” Though in our estimation, they should of named this river “Pocket Water Creek” as this is one of the best creek/rivers in the state to practice your pocket water high stick nymphing skills. This river is well known for large trout and tough wading as this river is not for everyone, but can be rewarding for a good days effort.
We like to guide this river for clients who are traveling from the San Francisco Bay Area or Sacramento areas as this is one of the areas closest rivers to each metropolitan areas. Let us show the secrets of Putah Creek and how to fish this amazing creek that holds enormous trout. This river is closest place for good fly fishing if you live in San Jose, Oakland, Concord, San Francisco, Napa, Santa Rosa, Palo Alto & Marin. We look forward to guiding you and remember, all gear is included with a terrific streamside lunch. Our guides are experts on this piece of water, we can make your experience a memorable one.
Roberto Herrera Summer 2004
LIST OF FLIES FOR FLY FISHING Putah Creek
- PMD’S Size 18 & 16
- Pheasant Tails Size 16 & 18
- Micro Mayfly Size 18
- WD-40’s Size 16
- San Juan Worms
- Blue Wing Olives Size 16
- Elk Hair Caddis 16 & 14
- Black Midges Size 20
- Adams Size 16 to 20
- Caddis Poopah Size 16
- Wired Pheasant Tail Size 14
- Micro Mayfly Black Size 18
- Zebra Midges Size 16 to 20
- Red Copper Johns Size 18
- S & M Nymph Size 16 & 18
- Poxyback PMD Size 16
- Micro May Fly Olive Size 18
- Birds Nest Size 16 & 14
- Wolly Buggers – Size 8
Cost for guiding: $425 per day for 2 anglers
This is where it started for Ryan.
GEAR RECOMMENDATIONS FOR Putah Creek
- Fish species: Trout
- Fishing season: Last Saturday In April Until November 15th. (We do not guide this river in the winter, due to spawning season.)
- Nearest airport: Sacramento, Redding, California, Oakland, California, SFO, Napa, Fairfield,
- Recommended fly fishing leader: 9 to 12 foot leader 3 X to 5 X
- Recommended fly fishing tippet: 3 X or 2 X Tippet-For Streamers 4 X Nymphing 5 X
- Best fly fishing rod: 8 to 9 foot – 4, 5 or 6 weight
- Best floating fly line: WF Floating Fly Line
- Best sinking fly line: Sinking Line 200 grain 10 to 20 feet- Slim Line or Intermediate 5 wt. Line
- Fly lines: Sink Tip or floating (Sink tip for floating for trout.)
WHERE TO STAY IN WOODLAND OR VACAVILLE NEAR PUTAH CREEK.
- Whispering Pines Resort
Address: 17170 Hwy 175, Middletown, CA 95461
Phone: (707) 928-5227
- Abbey House Inn
Address: 101 E Abbey St, Winters, CA 95694
Phone: (530) 795-5870
Mike Latham Summer 2004
Ask Us About Fly Fishing The Pit River, Hat Creek, Sacramento & McCloud River. We Also Provide Guides For Steelhead & Salmon In Northern California Coastal Rivers On Up Into Oregon And Lodging too. We also offer trips on the Sandy, Clackamas, Metolius, Deschutes, Rogue, Umpqua Rivers, McKenzie, Santiam, the Fall River, Crooked, and most of the Cascade Lakes in Oregon. Upper, Middle & Lower Klamath, Trinity, Smith & Eel Rivers in Northern California.
OUR GUIDE RYAN WILLIAMS, HAS BEEN FLY FISHING THIS RIVER SINCE HE WAS A YOUNGSTER. LET HIM SHARE THE SECRETS OF THIS CREEK/RIVER WITH YOU.
Putah Creek Council - www.putahcreektrout.org
Putah Creek Trout is a non profit org. that contributes for the protection and habitat work for trout in Putah Creek.