CAYMAN ISLANDS – Fly Fishing Guides
LODGING & FLY FISHING PACKAGES GRAND CAYMANS
AIR BNB CAYMAN ISLANDS
OUR PROFESSIONAL FLY FISHING GUIDE HAS BEEN GUIDING THE CAYMAN ISLANDS SINCE 2003. WE SERVICE THE CAYMAN ISLANDS CRUISE SHIPS FOR THOSE INTERESTED IN FLY FISHING EXCURSIONS. ALL FLY FISHING GEAR INCLUDED, REASONABLE PRICES, EXCELLENT GEAR AND EQUIPMENT. ALL SKILL LEVELS WELCOMED.
LIST OF FLIES FOR FLY FISHING CAYMAN ISLANDS
Salt Water Flies
BONE FISH ~ COLOR ~ SIZE
- CRAZY CHARLIES - WHITE, PINK, TAN & BROWN 8 & 6
- MINI PUFFS - PINK 8 & 6
- SKINNY WATER CLOUSER'S MINNOW- CHAR/WHITE 6
- (WEEDLESS) TAN/WHITE 6
- BLACK EYED SHRIMP, PALMER'S - PEARL 4
- BONE FISH SCAMPI - PINK / TAN 8
- CHILI PEPPER'S - GOLD 6
- POXY BACK GOLDEN STONES - (BABY LOBSTER) 4
- CLOUSER'S DEEP WATER MINNOW (GLOVER'S REEF USED WITH INTERMEDIATE LINE) - CHARTEUSE/ WHITE 6
- BAUER'S FLATS CRAB - LIGHT OLIVE/TAN 4
- CAPTAIN CRABBY, VEVERKA'S - TAN 4
- CHERNOBYL CRAB, BORSKI'S - TAN 2
- BONE FISH CRITTER - CRAB - 4
- McCRAB, ANDERSON'S - CRAB - 2
- PERMIT CRAB, DEL BROWN'S - TAN/BROWN 4
- SAN PEDRO CRAB, AUSTIN'S - OLIVE / TAN 6/8
- SALT CRAB, WHITLOCK'S - CRAB 4
- TURNIFF CRAB, MATHEWS - OLIVE / CREAM 8, 6 4
- SWIMMING CRAB, BRANHAM'S - TAN 6
- TARPON BUNNY, WYATT'S - OLIVE, BLACK, YELLOW SMALL
- COCKROACH - GREY SMALL
- BLACK DEATH - BLACK SMALL
- ORANGE BUTT TARPON, BORSKI'S - GREEN SMALL
- LAID-UP TARPON, RUOFF'S - CHARTREUSE - TAN SMALL
- TARPON SNAKE, LEMAY'S - BLACK LARGEHOT FLASH MINNOW, BURKE'S - MACEREL / SHAD 4 / 2
- LEFTY'S BIG FISH DECEIVER, KREH'S - BLUE / WHITE 3/0
- GUMMY SAND EEL, CHOCKLETT'S - SILVER 1
- HALF AND HALF, CLOUSER'S/KREH CHARTREUSE 1/0
- FLASHFIRE, SKOK'S - GRAY / WHITE - OLIVE/WHITE 2/0
- GLADES MINNOW. CONNER'S - OLIVE/GREY 4
- E-Z ZONKER, SKOK'S - TAN/PEARL 4
- CLOUSER'S DEEP MINNOW - CHARTREUSE/YELLOW 6
ALL FLIES CAN BE FOUND at http://www.umpqua.com Or call us at 530-926-4540
Enjoy Superb Fly Fishing with Jack Trout Fly Fishing International. We can help you with all your travel needs, FISHING, DIVING, SCENIC TOURS, LODGING and RESERVATIONS. WE HAVE BEEN OUTFITTING FLY FISHING INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL SINCE 1994.
EXPERIENCE SUCCESSFUL SALTWATER CAYMAN ISLANDS TRAVEL. CALL US FOR A LIST OF PAST CUSTOMER RECOMMENDATION LIST OR TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS MAY HAVE ABOUT YOUR TRAVEL. YOU WOULD LAND IN CAYMAN ISLANDS AND WE TAKE YOU TO YOUR LODGING. THEN WE’LL PICK YOU UP DAILY AT WERE YOU LODGE TO GO FLY FISHING, Please Bring A Lunch From Your Resort. ALL GEAR AND FLIES ARE INCLUDED.
GEAR RECOMMENDATIONS FOR CAYMAN ISLANDS
- Fish species: Permit, Tarpon, Bone Fish
- Fishing season: All Year
- Nearest airport: CAYMAN ISLAND
- Recommended fly fishing Tippet & leader Bone Fish: 12lb
- Recommended fly fishing Tippet & leader Tarpon: 40lb to 60lb
- Recommended fly fishing Tippet & leader Permit: 16lb
- Best fly fishing rod Bone Fish: 7 or 8 wt.
- Best fly fishing rod Tarpon: 11 or 12 weight
- Best fly fishing rod Permit: 9 or 10 weight
- Best floating fly lines for Bones : WF Salt Water Rated Lines – 8wt
- Best sinking fly line: Tarpon Lines – 11 / 12 weight intermediate & sink lines – Call for details
- Best floating fly lines for Permit: WF Salt Water Rated Lines 9/10 weight.
ASK ABOUT HOW WE CAN GUIDE YOU OFF THE CAYMAN ISLANDS DOCK FOR THE CRUISE SHIP TRAVELERS. WE ARE THE CRUISE SHIP FLY FISHING EXPERTS AS WE MAKE IT EASY EVERY TIME.
SEE WHY WE ARE A TOP OUTFIT ON TRIPADVISOR - CERTIFICATE OF EXCELLENCE 2019
Link - Tripadvisor
2023 Fly Fishing Wade Trips and Skiff Adventures Half Day 4 Hours & Day Trips 6 Hours.
- Please call to ask us what the price may be for your group depending on the season and how many anglers.
- Includes All Fly Fishing Gear & Flies. Always,THE most professional fly fishing guides and fly gear.
We can fly fish from shore wading if weather is too bad to go out on the ocean in our skiff, we have several spots we fish and have known for years.
FLIGHTS INFORMATION FOR CAYMAN ISLANDS
- CAYMAN AIRLINES
- AMERICAN AIRLINES
- JET BLUE
BEST RESTAURANTS CAYMAN ISLANDS
- Morgan's Seafood Restaurant
- Casanova Restaurant
- Blue by Eric Ripert
- Chicken! Chicken!
Best Things to Do in Cayman Islands
- #1 Fly Fish at Least One Day
- #2 Seven Mile Beach (Grand Cayman)
- #3 Stingray City (Grand Cayman)
- #4 Kittiwake Shipwreck & Artificial Reef
Best Months to Visit
The best time to visit the Cayman Islands is between March and June when the hotel rates drop.
The islands are warm year-round with average highs holding steady in the 80s. January and February are the coolest months with average lows in the high 60s. The rainy season spans from May through October – though showers usually only last for a few hours at a time. The islands' location in the western part of the Caribbean shields them from being hit too hard by the annual hurricane season, which lasts from June to November. If you don't want to sacrifice weather for a break on hotel prices, plan a trip for the region's dry season, which runs from November to April.
FLY FISHING CHECKLIST FOR CAYMAN ISLANDS
- Flats boots
- Wading booties or sneakers and socks elasticized at the calf
- Hat (s) (long billed, wide brimmed, etc.)
- A good quality pair of Polaroid sunglasses , with straps. Wrap around style gives most complete eye protection.
- Scarf/ Bandanna
- Simms Protective gloves (VERY IMPORTANT)
- Lightweight shirts
- Lightweight long sleeve shirts
- Lightweight shorts
- Lightweight pants
- Tennis shoes
- Rain Jacket
- Bathing suits
- Fishing towel
- Dew Rag
- Face Protection
- Spray Bottle With Water
- Hand Alcohol
- Peets Coffee & Gold Swiss Filter – Non Dairy Creamer
- Hook hone
- Knot-tying tools
- Waterproof camera
- Large Leatherman / long-nosed pliers
- Swiss Army knife
- Small waterproof flashlight
- Waterproof matches
- Fanny pack
- Water purification tablets
- Water bottles
- Aqua-seal (knot coatings)
- Prescription medications
- First-aid kit
- Sunscreen High factor
- Deet/ insect repellent
- Skin/hand lotion/ moisturizer
- Mask, snorkel, fins
- Regulator and Buoyancy Compensator
THINGS TO DO BEFORE YOU LEAVE:
- Check to see that your passport is valid for up to 3 months past your date of return.
- Advise post office to hold mail.
- Place valuables in safe deposit box.
- Stop delivery of newspapers, milk etc.
- Put away all yard equipment and furniture.
- Put address labels on all baggage (inside and out).
- For the purpose of fast identification, please print name and address legibly on your baggage tags, last name first in capital letters.
- Leave extra house key and itinerary with relative or friend.
- Arrange for pets.
- Check with doctor about malaria prevention and other health concerns.
BEFORE YOU LOCK THE DOOR. HAVE YOU:
- Turned off all appliances and taps?
- Closed and locked windows and doors?
DO YOU HAVE: (DO NOT PACK IN YOUR SUITCASE)
- Domestic air tickets.
- Name tag so you can be identified at the airport.
- Travelers checks and money.
- Luggage keys.
- Camera, film, flash, extra batteries, silica gel packets and zip-lock bags for keeping camera, lens, film and binoculars dry and fungal free.
- Prescription medicines required while traveling.
- NO CELL PHONES CUBAN GOVERNMENT TAKES THEM.
ESSENTIAL THINGS TO TAKE:
- Favorite remedies for headache, colds, upset stomach, including Lomotil or Pepto Bismol (for lower intestinal distress), nerves, insect bites, skin irritations, motion sickness, etc.
- Special medicines and prescriptions including malaria prophylactic.
- Insect repellent.
- Binoculars and field guides.
- Lightweight rain poncho.
- Small flashlight.
- Alarm clock.
- Zip-lock baggies (quart size, and plastic trash bags for wet clothes).
- Hat with brim for sun protection.
- Ballpoint pen and pad. Sunscreen lotion and chapstick (a must in tropical sun). Mask, fins, snorkel.
USEFUL EXTRAS TO MAKE TRAVELING EASIER:
- Kleenex mini packs.
- Wash n’ Dry pre-moistened towelettes.
- Towel for supplemental use and between-hotel swims.
- First aid kit.
- Postcard address list.
- Credit cards, Water bottle.
- Swiss army knife.
- Field guides and reference materials.
- Insurance certificates
- Address and telephone number of whom to contact in case of emergency.
CLOTHING, EQUIPMENT AND IMPORTANT FACTS:
The items on this list represent everything that you will need on your trip. Since space for baggage is often limited in the field, it is important that you do not bring extra items. Your own experience should help you choose individual items, but don’t overestimate the predictability of the weather. On many of our trips you should be prepared for showers and hot sun.
CLOTHING – CASUAL CLOTHES FOR TRAVEL IN CITIES AND AIRPLANES.
- Shirts: Cotton, or light synthetic blend such as those sold by Ex Officio, short-sleeved, or T-shirts; one light long-sleeved NOTE: Many travelers enjoy purchasing T-shirts throughout their trip and, therefore, pack accordingly.
- Trousers: Jeans or light hiking pants. Shorts can be worn in all places except town.
- Underwear: Cotton is comfortable, synthetic blends dry better overnight.
- Headwear: Light hat with wide brim, including back of neck, for sun protection. Tie under the chin is advisable to prevent possible loss due to wind on boats.
- Foul Weather Gear: Poncho – lightweight but sturdy (with any rain garment make sure the seams are sealed). Small folding umbrella can be useful while walking trails or in boats. Light- weight jacket or wind breaker for nights in the mountains or boat rides. A heavy cotton sweat shirt can be substituted for a windbreaker and feels great on the boat after snorkeling.
- Socks: Cotton, athletic.
- Shoes: Trails are often wet and therefore slippery, so your footwear is important. Walking shoes that grip or two pairs of tennis shoes (in case one pair gets wet and muddy). Flip-flops or shower togs. NOTE:Most landings on islands are wet landings and we recommend always wearing shoes in the field.
- Swimsuit: An extra swimsuit may be helpful.
SNORKELING / DIVING
NOTE: Snorkeling and diving equipment are available for rent. Due to the difficulty in getting a proper fit it is recommended that you bring your own mask and snorkel.
- Mask: Be sure that it fits properly. (Those with mustaches should bring Vaseline.) The best type is the strap-behind-the-heel type worn with dive booties. Flippers should fit properly because blisters can make marine activities very painful. NOTE: Those who are new to snorkeling may wish only to use tennis shoes for standing up on rocks in the shallows.
- Booties: Slip-on rubber dive booties protect from blisters and protect ankles against coral scrapes.
- Snorkel: Many varieties are available. Be sure the mouth piece is comfortable.
- Gloves – Cheap artificial leather or cloth garden gloves. NOTE: IT IS DESTRUCTIVE TO THE REEF TO HANDLE CORAL, SPONGES, ETC. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH!
- Divers: NOTE: You must have your own dive certification card with you.
- Weights and tanks are available for rent.
- Dive light if you are taking a night dive.
- Wet suit jacket or shorty wet suit (optional for those who are cold natured, otherwise use a T-shirt).
- Buoyancy compensator and gauges are required of all divers. Divers should have depth and pressure gauges, watch and knife.
TRIPADVISOR REVIEW January 2023
Jan 2023 • Solo
Spent our honeymoon in the Caymans and didn’t schedule a trip prior to getting there. Convinced the new wife for a half day and immediately had Jack looking for a guide for me. Jack found me a great local guide with two days' notice and got my first Tarpon on an 8wt!! Responded quickly and cares about getting people on fish who are unfamiliar with the area. Highly recommend Jack Written January 21, 2023
THE BEST RENT A CAR COMPANY IN ALL OF GRAND CAYMANS, DOUG or ElAINE WILL MEET YOU AT THE AIRPORT. ( I Wouldn't use anyone else, Jack Trout)
*Jack Trout Signature Endorsed Company*