Middle Fork Feather River Fly Fishing
Fly Fishing Guides Graeagle, Portola, Quincy, Chester, Greenville, Sierra City, Downieville, Camptonville, California.
Fly Fish Our Private Access Stretch Of The Middle Fork Feather River Off USFS Forest Lands. We Have A Private Road That Takes You Right To Our Property On The Middle Fork Of The Feather River Between The Towns Of Quincy & Portola.
Let Jack Trout Guide You On The Best Location The MF Feather Has To Offer. We are experts in fly fishing the Middle Fork Feather in our special location off our private lands. Licensed California Fly Fishing Guides By The Department Of Fish & Wildlife.
Jack Trout & Beef Dog Out Enjoying Our Private Stretch Of Middle Fork Feather River. Jack Trout Was Born And a Graduate Of Portola High School, Grew Up Fishing On The Feather River.
“I Love The Feather River Country More Than Anywhere, This Is My Home.” Jack Trout
One Of Our Favorite Places On Earth Is Spent On Fiery Evenings Where You Can Catch Trout On The Feather Until Dark.
Full Day Guide Trip – $475 Includes All Gear + Flies & Lunch For Two Anglers
- Half Day – $350 All Gear Included & Flies For Two Anglers (No Lunch)
- Middle Fork Feather River, North Fork Yuba River, Packer Lake, Sardine Lake.
- All Lunches Provided By The Graeagle Store Since 1918, The Areas Finest Meats.
Ask us about fly fishing two rivers in one day!
Lodging Fly Fishing Eastern Plumas County
- Chalet View Lodge - https://www.chaletviewlodge.com/
- Sleepy Pines Motel - http://www.sleepypinesmotel.com/
- Sierra Sky Ranch - http://www.sierraskylodge.com/
- River Pines Resort - https://www.riverpines.com/
- Packer Lake Resort & Cabins – Amazing food!! http://www.packerlakelodge.com/
- Sardine Lake Resort & Cabins – Amazing food!! http://www.sardinelakeresort.com/index.html
- Gold Lake Lodge - http://goldlakelodge.com/
The Native Trout In The Feather River Are Some Of The Strongest & Beautiful Trout For Their Size.
We Suggest Using – 3, 4 or 5 weight rod when fly fishing the Feather River.
Wonderful dry fly fishing the entire season, we look forward to showing you how.
Ask Us About Our Free Summer Fly Tying Classes And Casting Seminars Out Of Graeagle, California.
We have some of the best accessible water in all of the Middle Fork Feather River, we want to share it with you.
Fish On! See You Soon, Jack Trout.
Chief Graeagle Resting On His Bed Of Gold, On Eureka Peak Near Johnsville, California.
WE DO NOT GUIDE ON UNITED STATES FOREST SERVICE LANDS, BUT ACCESS THE MIDDLE FORK FEATHER RIVER FROM OURS & OTHER LOCAL’S PRIVATE LANDS.
Lower Feather River Steelhead
The Lower Feather River begins after the Oroville Dam, the tallest dam in the United States. Unfortunately this has halted steelhead and salmon form making it up the Feather River Canyon and to re-propagate near the natural springs where these fish used to annually visit for millions of years. The fish have somewhat adjusted, even though populations have drastically declined in the last 160 years since the gold rush period as 18 of the historic 21 annual salmon runs are now extinct. Of course the declines of salmon are solely affected because of the dam and its impact these days combined with the drought years. Aside from the struggle these fish have faced over the last 160 years, the Feather still manages to see good returns of wild steelhead at times.
We fish for steelhead in the Lower Feather River and we have found that Fall/Winter is when most of the larger fish can be caught. The river can see higher pressure during these months, however Spring and Summer can be very productive and under the radar of many anglers. The river can be pretty void of crowds during this time, with the nearby Yuba and Sac turning on, and the trout season opener. Fisherman will also head to the more well-known steelhead fisheries such as the Trinity and Upper Klamath. Located ten minutes from the river our guide is extremely knowledgeable about the fishery and he knows where to go depending on where the schools of fish are staging. Let us be your guide to some wonderful steelhead fly fishing on the Lower Feather River when the steelhead return on their annual migration up the Sacramento and it’s tributaries like the Feather River.
LIST OF FLIES FOR FLY FISHING LOWER FEATHER RIVER STEELHEAD
- Elk Hair Caddis – 14 & 16
- CDC Caddis 14 & 16
- Stimulator 8-12
- Parachute Adams 16
- Adams 16
- Para Extended Body-PMD 16
- Blue Wing Olive 18
- Bead Bugger (Black, Brown, Olive) 10 & 8
- Mohair Leech (Black, Brown, Olive) 10 & 8
- BH Hailbop Leech (Black, Brown, Olive, Wine) 10
- Pale Alevin 12 & 6
- Central Valley Alevin 12 & 6
- Soft Hackles (Tan, Brown, Olive) 14 & 16)
- General Baitfish Imitations Grey/White 8 & 10
- Fox Pupah Olive & Tan 14
- Z Wing Caddis Green 14
- Hotwire Caddis Olive & Tan 14
- G6 Caddis Pupa Olive & Tan 14
- Bird Nest Olive & Hares Ear 16 & 18
- Micro Mayfly 16 & 14
- Lances X-May Olive 16
- Hogan’s Little Amigo Brown & Olive 16
- Pheasant Tail 14 & 16
- WD-40 (Olive, Black, Grey, Brown) 16 & 18
- Glo Bug (Pink, Peach, & Orange) 6
- Microspawn (Pink, Cheese, Cheese/Flame, Steelhead Orange)
- Pettis’s Unreal Egg (Dark Roe, Light Roe, Bright Orange, Peachy King, Pink Champagne) 12
Instruction for kids in fly fishing
GEAR RECOMMENDATIONS FOR LOWER FEATHER RIVER
- Fish species: Steelhead
- Fishing season: Open Year Round Below 162 Bridge, Above 162 bridge open Jan 1- July 15.
- Nearest airport: Sacramento
- Recommended fly fishing leader: 9 foot leader 2X-3X
- Recommended fly fishing tippet: 3X-5X for Nymphs, 2X or 3X for Eggs, 4X or 5X for Most Dries, 2X-3X for Streamers
- Best fly fishing rod: 9-10 foot – 6 or 7 weight (5 weight for dries only)
- Best floating fly line: Rio In Touch Salmo/Steelhead
- Best sinking fly line: 10 foot sink tip. Type 6. 150-200 grn.
- Fly lines: Floating & Sink Tip.
Spent a day on the river with Jack on July 11, 2019. Great time was had by all. We were able to fish both private and public access spots along the river. Learned how to fish a new fishery with Jack's assistance. I think that I hooked 12-15 fish and landed half of them. The big one got away, so I will return.
My 14 year old son and I spent a half day fly fishing with Jack Trout. It was such an awesome experience. I think my son is hooked for life- which was exactly my goal! Jack was great. He was so enthusiastic and made my son feel comfortable and at ease. This difficult- to- crack teenager smiled a lot, and was so inspired. The trip was super easy for me as a mom- all the equipment was provided. All I had to do was show up, put on waders and walk to the river. My son caught 5 wild trout on the Feather River- talk about some bragging rights! He learned so much about the hatch and the river. This generation needs more of this..time outdoors, inspiring role models, connection to nature. I would highly recommend Jack Trout Fly Fishing!
Reviewed August 28, 2016
Jack Trout is an amazing fly fishing guide down in Graeagle!!! We met at the general store and then headed out for four hours of FUN and EXCITEMENT. My husband caught his first trout on a fly! Z did a super job making sure all people were having a good time and learning. He is very knowledgeable and funny. Wonderful experience.....book with Jack Trout Fly Fishing if you are looking for an awesome experience!!
Visited July 2016
Lower Feather River Oct 2016
Proud Member of the Lost Sierra Chamber of Commerce